In 1953 the Cercle Culturel FranÃ§ais, founded in 1950, was affiliated to the Alliance FranÃ§aise under the name of l'Alliance FranÃ§aise de l'Etat Libre d'Orange. The teaching of French from here-on was the main focus of the Alliance. The name of our Alliance was changed to Alliance FranÃ§aise de Bloemfontein in 1995. The Alliance is housed in the â€˜community roomâ€™ on the groundfloor of West End flats, cnr of Henry Street and First Avenue.
In June 2013 we celebrated our 60th anniversary with a dinner attended by the French Ambassador, Mme Elizabeth Barbier.